Profile

Officine Meccaniche Giovanni Cerutti’s adventure started in Casale Monferrato, before the beginning of the 20th Century. The workshop of Giuseppe, a smith and father of the Founder Giovanni, was the starting point of this successful enterprise. 
 
The first rotogravure press for the Italian market, manufactured in a small plant situated in the Casale quarter called Valentino, was for the Palazzi Company in 1950. Prior to this in 1949, Luigi Cerutti, Giovanni’s son (who started working with him since the end of his studies), walked through the Iron Curtain selling a press dedicated to PVC printing for the production of table-clothes to Prasa of Warsaw in Poland. 
 
Amongst the goals achieved in this decade, there is the delivery of the first rotogravure press to print magazines to the Mondadori Group; the same model was also supplied to the French Group Cino del Duca and to Famiglia Cristiana. 
 
In 1956, with the opening of the new plant in via Adam, Officine Meccaniche Giovanni Cerutti’s activities grew to industrial size. 
 
At the beginning of the sixties, Luigi Cerutti understood that packaging would become one of the most important tools to sell a product and transmit a message. He made a statement that truly embodied his vision: "The world will be packaged”. For this reason, Cerutti entered the sector of packaging presses for plastic film and decided to build a new plant in Vercelli. 
 
Luigi’s son, Giancarlo Cerutti, was appointed President and CEO in 1981. Leader in the rotogravure printing sector and serving two different markets with this technology - magazines and packaging - at the end of 1982 Cerutti decided to increase its production. In 1985, the birth of the first flexographic press for newspaper printing entered into production at “Il Tirreno”, in Livorno. 
 
The next few years saw a large growth of printing technologies offered by Cerutti, thanks to the acquisition of Flexotecnica (Tavazzano, Lodi) - operating in the flexographic C.I. packaging sector; Iberica (Spain) - specializing in sheet-fed platen die cutters for the graphic arts; Zerand and Bernal (USA) - respectively specializing in the production of web-fed platen die cutters and web-fed rotary cutters and dies. The last two acquisitions strengthened Cerutti’s presence in the world of carton-board.   
 
In 2007, Cerutti and Koenig & Bauer signed an agreement transferring to Cerutti all KBA's intellectual property rights relating to rotogravure printing presses for magazines, catalogues and decorative paper - the Italian Company remains the worldwide leader in this market segment. 
 
In recent years, Cerutti has sold the majority stake of Flexotecnica to the German Group KBA, as a step forward in the refocusing process undergone by the Company. Bernal was sold in 2013. 
 
Today, Officine Meccaniche Giovanni Cerutti is still the Parent Company and Head Office of the Cerutti Group. Its area of activity is the manufacturing of gravure presses for packaging and publication printing, flexographic presses for newspaper printing and converting equipment.  Concentrated in two sites, both of them are located in Italy - one in Casale Monferrato and one in Vercelli.